Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Birdcage Cake

I must admit, that on first impressions, I wasn't very keen on the idea of a bird cage for a wedding cake, however over the past few months of pondering over the design (mainly contemplating how I was going to tackle the cake) I fell more and more in love with it! The whole wedding had a bird theme, which was carried out beautifully. The table centrepieces were twigs with twinkle lights, with little birds in the "trees", and the place settings doubled as favours as they were delicious sugar cookies each piped with the guests names.

The cake was a three tier chocolate mud cake, which stood 30cm high. I LOVED the cake, it was dainty and feminine with a lovely vintage feel. The design was based heavily on the cake in the 'Wedding Cakes - a design source' magazine. To make the cake large enough to serve almost 100 guests, I made it taller including 2 full height tiers, then the top dome tier. I also did my own thing with the flowers and vines, and added the little pink ladybug on the top.

The biscuits were a custom design, my husband made the cutter and the piping detail was added to compliment the detailing on the birds on the cake.



*Wedding cakes a design source, Squires kitchen magazine publishing. Issue 38, Spring 2011, page 106, Based on the design 'Songbird Sanctuary' by Zoe Clark
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment